Saturday, March 8, 2014

February 2014 Birchbox vs. Ipsy

So I decided to do a beauty box match-up. Birchbox and Ipsy seem to be the best ones for this. They usually send out the same type of products, the same number of products (usually 5), and cost the same ($10). So let's get to it


Ispy February 2014


Birchbox February 2014


Round 1 - Lashes

Ipsy -  J Cat False Eyelashes
Birchbox -  Smashbox Cosmetics Full Exposure Mascara

I am not a falsies girl so I won't use these fake eyelashes. This mascara wasn't really a win for me, either. So from my perspective, they sit sort of even (birchbox has a slight edge). Value wise, even though the eyelashes are full size, their value is only $4, while the deluxe sample of mascara is worth a little over $7.

Birchbox wins this round


Round 2 - Nails

Ipsy -  Zoya Nail Polish in Dot
Birchbox - Ruby Wing Color Changing Nail Polish in Kitten Heels

Both of these polishes are pink, but I love the bright pink more than the light pink. However, Ipsy's polish is full size and worth almost double birchbox's.  The color changing polish didn't work for me, which may be more my fault than it is Ruby Wing's.

This one is really close, but I have to give it to Ipsy.


Round 3 - Face

Ipsy - First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser
Birchbox - COOLA Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face

Here we have a face cleanser and a face sunscreen. I LOVE Coola and I have yet to try Ipsy's cleanser, so this may be an unfair round. They are both samples (although the Ipsy sample is larger) but value wise, Ipsy comes in at a little over $5 while birchbox is a little over $3.50.

I have to give it to birchbox. I just love Coola face products too much


Round 4 - Eyes

Ipsy - Jessie's Girl 9 Pan Eye Shadow Compact in The Eyes Have It
Birchbox - Smashbox Full Exposure Palette

This is a bit unfair too. If I ignore the fact that the Birchbox sample was ruined during the shipping process, it is still a pretty sucky item.

Ipsy knocks this one out of the park.


Round 5 - Misc. (lips and hair)

Ipsy - Pop Plump Pout in Peony Petal
Birchbox - Beauty Protector Protect & Oil

I won't use either of the samples so I am going to do this solely off facts and not my personal opinions. the Pop gloss has a value of $8 while the oil has an approximate value of $2.

Ipsy wins this one, too.


The Stats:

Ipsy - $30 value; 3 full-sized items; won 3 rounds (rounds 2, 4, and 5)
Birchbox - $18 value; no full sized items; won 2 rounds (rounds 1 and 3)

The bottom line:

Neither of these boxes stick out as a favorite for me, nor do they really have any stand out products. But, I am still pleased with them.
With that said, Ipsy takes it this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment